Has the world gone mad or topsy turvy
I hear you say
What is going is they cry
We know not at all
At all, they tried to whisper.
But the words fell thru the cracks
And seeped and slithered down the
Melted drains and under piles of
Stinking, Rotten, old manure.
Because no one tended the fields anymore
The soil lay hard and dry and barren.
Somewhere over far away rainbows lay this
Rich market place
It Glittered with shiny fake golden doors
Driven by financial trading and
Illegal tax haven islands
Where only the rich got richer
And the children lay crying at
Night with hunger.
And the world has gone wrong.
It has taken false and empty wrong turnings.
It has gone mad or topsy turvy.
As Obama left the stage
His articulate words of hope
Flew in the air,
And all we heard then was
Simple Simon words of –
'He’s smart, he’s incredible, he’s fake'
But what did the words really mean
In our mad mad world?
I’m left to dream of my Alternative Reality
Where we have the first woman President –
What a wonderful milestone!
Where Brexit means Brexit never happened
And where the doubters knew clearly
Scotland had a bright and exciting future
With its own resources, its own culture,
Its own song and its own currency notes
And with Burns image shining bright.
(Because in 2008 was a disastrous money crash
but still no one listened)
Perhaps Bruce Springsteen will show up and sing 'Blowin in the Wind'
and someone will pick up the
piece of paper
and we will all be able to listen
and see once again.
This Trump used sensational sweets, I mean Tweets,
to tell his story.
But they tasted bitter and sour,
And echoed in empty online chambers
And bounced and banged
And the golden fireworks were not
For joy or celebration,
But for fear.
And Brexit means
Prices are rising,
May threatens a low tax economy,
Hunt wants to privatize the health service
Trump supports Farage -
What this means is that England is heading towards a more right market-driven capitalism that works for the rich, while the other workers suffer.
Scotland now has a very serious position –
Do we follow this path England is being forced to follow (don’t believe May’s words of ‘sharing’ – they mean nothing at all.)
Do we look to the more socially equal Nordic countries
Where they follow a very different path?
This is the very serious question we need to consider now.
This is what Brexit means…
January 2017, Pauline Keightley
PS More than ever we need education is schools on Modern Studies, Philosophy and Politics – as few have a clue what is really going on.
Gordon McIntrye Kemp writing in the National wonders that only around 10% of us research and read in any serous way on political issues – that leaves about 90% using the Daily Mail or Sun for their information! How then can people vote in an informed way omething needs to be done urgently!